Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The 3 for $1 problem

Really. But sometimes I wish these people would just go away.

They inject pangs of uninvited guilt in people.

Forgive me, but before you call me heartless, allow me to recount what happened this evening.

***

2 seconds right after I set my tray on the table, one middle age lady wheeled her market trolley next to me, held out the stack of tissues and recited the usual,

3 for $1, Miss, please help.

Without looking up, I smiled, shook my head politely and rejected her.

Instead of walking away, she stood beside me, continued with a string of pity-filled lines.

It's only a dollar for 3. Please help. I've a sick child. You have parents right? or grandparents? Sick? You understand?

For the dreadful 20 seconds, she didn't budge from my side, repeated those lines for the longest time.

I wasn't sure if she threw me a dirty look after that messy recitation (cuz if I were her, I'm sure i would, to someone who refused to lift up her head the whole time) but it sure was painful.

2 minutes later, a much older lady, walked over with an obvious mild tremor in her movement, cleared the tray from my table, smiled when I thanked her for that.

I was sure, the first lady was way younger than the latter, but yet she chose to seize people and then overdose them with the toxin called guilt.

Really, I am never critical of those who just stood aside to wait for willing customers, it was more of pity.

My gripe about the first lady was that she was forcing people and employing the karma-will-befall-on-you method.

I am already excluding the fact that she was probably making a close to 350% profit over that 3 packets of tissue.

The 2nd lady on the other hand, despite her obvious difficulty, she was moving around the hawker so quickly, clearing tables. Which then, should we save our compassion for?

***

Again, allow me to explain my horrifying experience in Guangdong in Jan.

While heading towards a bar few streets from our hotel, I was 'attacked' by a boy 3 times younger than me.

He dived straight for my leg, wrapped his limbs around mine and cried for RMB5. While the young one was performing, his elder 'brother' stood aside coolly and looked on.

PF & Sam were trying to break us apart but to no avail. RMB5 is only S$1 but if it could stop the boy from crying, fine. I was willing.

After midnight on our way back to the hotel, we passed a convenience shop and there we saw, the same young boy, flipping his jacket as if to say

Job's done, time to pack up and go home!

Imagine how I felt at that point of time.

But friends who have been to China or lived there long enough will tell me, it's an all too common sight.
Sigh.

Singapore is just decent enough to have these hawker raiders.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back to the blogsphere!

7:45 PM  
Blogger Aileen said...

HAHA... continue reading & I will in writing :)

11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home