Thursday, September 11, 2008

Beware of who you BE-FRIEND

while some of us happily acknowledge our friendships with close companions, the following should make you think twice before you announce it openly again....

who are the
Friends of Dorothy?
Apparently, this term refers to a gay man.
I kid you not.
In my recent research on my upcoming production, I found out that W.O.Z has been closely related to the gay community.
According to Wikipedia, this phrase dates back to at least World War II when homosexual acts were illegal in the United States. Stating that, if someone was a 'friend of Dorothy', it was a euphemism used for discussing sexual orientation without others knowing its meaning.
In W.O.Z, Dorothy is accepting of those who are different and of course, they are non other than the scarecrow, tinman & the lion.
In fact, this term has been so widely used even in films and tv series in the early nineties.
***
This is something so new and unheard of to me and I am caught by surprise to know & therefore decided to share with you.
Interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home